Breastfeeding is the natural way to feed a child with major health benefits for both mothers and babies. Halton Baby-Friendly Initiative (HBFI) aims to promote a baby-friendly Halton by encouraging and supporting the Halton community to provide Baby-Friendly Spaces throughout the region. A Baby-Friendly Space is anywhere that welcomes and supports mothers with babies/young children and families.
Why is supporting breastfeeding important?
- The majority of children in Canada are breastfed, providing major health benefits to both the child and the family.
- Many people choose not to breastfeed outside the comfort of their own home as they feel unsupported breastfeeding in public spaces.
- It makes good business sense to support and encourage breastfeeding in Halton as it helps to improve the health of the community.
Why provide a Baby-Friendly Space?
- Helps improve the general health and well-being of the Halton community while upholding the law (Ontario Human Rights Code).
- Supports families with young children, encouraging loyalty and attracting new customers.
- Attracts good publicity and promotes your Baby-Friendly business to the community.
How can you provide a Baby-Friendly Space?
- Display the universal breastfeeding logo.
- Welcome breastfeeding families and support their legal right to breastfeed anytime and anywhere without being asked to move or cover up.
- For those who request privacy, if available, provide a comfortable, clean and private area to feed their child or express milk. Note that washrooms are not a suitable place for anyone to eat, including a breastfeeding child.
- Ensure staff are trained to respond to any negative comments regarding breastfeeding by demonstrating support for breastfeeding in public and offering to re-seat the concerned customer rather than the breastfeeding parent.
- Support employees who return to work while breastfeeding.
Your Baby-Friendly Space can play an important role in supporting breastfeeding and the general well-being of families within Halton. If you need help to become baby-friendly, including how to become Code compliant, please contact us at email@example.com.
Page updated July 17, 2019