Why are formula samples and freebies a problem?
Because they undermine breastfeeding. Formula companies offer free samples of infant formula and freebies such as baby weight scale liners, sticky note pads (for writing baby weights on to give parents), measuring tapes, calendars, and more.
Risks of formula samples and freebies
- Reduce exclusivity and duration of breastfeeding
- Promote formula companies
- Normalize bottle feeding
- Contradict The WHO Code
Alternatives to formula company freebies
- Halton BFI sticky note pads (free! just contact us to request some)
- Dental bibs are very inexpensive and are almost identical to baby weight scale liners. Cost is around $25-35 for a quantity of 500 (plus tax & shipping).
- Reusable measuring tapes. If paper measuring tapes are preferred, the cost is around $100-150 (depending on size) for a quantity of 1000 (plus tax & shipping).
Dental bibs and measuring tapes can be ordered from your usual medical supplier or by googling dental bibs or measuring tapes. Tip: using the word Canada in your search will help find Canadian retailers.
If you would like more information please contact us or call the Halton Region Health Department by dialling 311 and ask to speak to the BFI Coordinator (public health nurse).